Monday, November 10, 2008

Things to ask your parents while you can!



Ok, I know there aren't many things we want to think about, but I am going to bring up a subject that everyone needs to think about. My Mom passed away almost 19 years ago, so by now I am or should be used to the idea of her not being around. But there are still days that I expect her to call and be on the other end of the phone. I was an only daughter, and for some reason I like to think that gave me an edge on knowing everything about her. She was without a doubt my very best friend for the first 30 years of my life. She was troubled with serious health problems throughout her life, and by the time I was married she was in a wheelchair. I know at times I thought I would lose my mind taking care of her, having three children of my own, working, and trying to find time to be a wife. When it seemed to much, her sense of humor always made it worth it. But, although I spent the majority of everyday my life with her, I really thought I knew everything there was to know about her. She was a continuous talker! (Gee, if anyone knows any of the Hillmans, you wont be surprised at that one!) She grew up in Teton Valley where everyone knows everything about each other. And that is whether you like it or not. I think I know more about her friends lives than I do any of my own childhood friends.
But, even though her death was not a surprise to me, or any of my family, I still am amazed that there are things I should have ask her while I could. This is my list of the most important things I forgot to ask!
1. Although most of her recipes I know from heart, I should have ask and written them down. Because, I am surprisingly losing some of my memory! And there are a few ingredients that I think I am missing.
2. Mom wasn't great at writing a journal, or taking pictures like we are all able to do now days. It would be nice to know a little more about how she managed with three little boys and a little girl all within 5 years. Not to mention a very temperamental husband. There are few baby pictures of any of us. What we do have, are almost all the same~ all four of us kids nearly naked wrestling each other. And a few of us dressed up, but Jeff always seemed to have his boyscout uniform on. So if anyone has any pictures of us as youngsters, please pass them along.
3. Besides her crazy times I would hear about of her high school friends, what did she enjoy doing? I continually knew of her love of horseback riding. But surely there was more!
4. Of the stories she did tell us,,,what was truth and what was fiction?
5. Ok,,,and last but the very most important question to ask your parents while you can,,,DO YOU HAVE ANY CHILDREN I DON'T KNOW ABOUT??

For the last question,,don't ever underestimate what your parents can keep from you! Just a year or so ago, my cousin Ronalee casually ask me a question referring to the baby my Mom had given up for adoption. It took a minute or two to realize what she ask me,,then I was at a total loss for words. This rarely happens. So, after asking her brothers and sisters I did find barely enough information to start a search for a half brother that I hadn't known about. Well, the results weren't easy to come by, but it certainly worth it. I now have 4 brothers, not just three. I have proudly added the oldest but newest brother to my list! His name is Peter Milliron, he just turned 54, and has three kids. We were all lucky to have Peter and two of his children, Elizabeth and Jeremy, join us at the annual Hillman reunion this year.
I am a bit worried that we have scared them away for good, as that reunion can be a bit noisy and crazy! But, he definitely fit into the mold of the Hillmans! He looks like a combination of each of my other brothers, Jeff, Tom, and Joe. And I can truly say that I couldn't love them any more if I had known them my whole life! Of all of Moms grand kids, I have to admit, for me, Elizabeth acts more like my Mom than anyone. She can talk just as fast and just as much! Peter and Jeremy live in Oregon, and Elizabeth in Washington, and their oldest son Jake is in Washington DC. Boyd and I are planning a trip hopefully in the early spring to spend more time with them. Our schedule is easier to arrange than theirs, so it may take a bit of doing. So, here I will show you a picture taken of the FIVE of us. We were at Toms home in Felt. This day was most likely the most eventful and wonderful day for me ever!
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I love that you started a blog! It's just like a journal, I think, so now your kids will hopefully have all the things you would've liked to ask your mom written down. I have to say you write very well and it's fun reading your stories! I can't wait to see you in like 2 weeks!!! YIPEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah, that last question is a good one. Maybe I should learn from you....do YOU have any children I should know about mom??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Yeah, I have a feeling after this thrill you all are JUST Fine! As for discovering a new family and new cousins, it's been CRAZY and so much fun! I can't WAIT to see you all again, and you better be serious about coming out here, we can't WAIT to see you all again! Anytime, we promise Hank will behave himself (and Jeremiah and the other boys too!).

    ReplyDelete